Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Rafting the Lower New River

Gettin' ready.
Two whitewater gals.
Big fun.

Allie and Austin our personal guide.

Molly jumpin'. That was really fun!!!
Allie and Kim.
Don't the helmets make us look good?
Bonnie and Molly.

Today we rafted the lower New River. This was our first time ever whitewater rafting. It was awesome! Kim's cousin Bonnie had wanted to go for a couple of years but we just never did, so this year we did it. We talked about going with a raft company but one of my guys on my shift is best friends with a guy that used to guide with a company but now just does it on the side. He told me that he would trust his family with him, so that was good enough for us. I'm so glad we went with him instead of a company. We could do whatever we wanted for however long we wanted and he is such a good guy and a very knowledgeable guide. What Kim was most impressed with was how much he was concerned for the safety of the girls. We just had a great experience all around and we'll definitely be calling him to take us again.

5 comments:

Jay said...

I guess it was around '92 when a couple of us guides from Songer got fed up with the long lines at the old Jump Rock just down stream from the one you have in the pic.

Chuck Flint took his PFD off while our peeps were waiting their turn at the old one and dove down to find any underwater boulders and the depth. All Good! We had it ourselves for awhile, but it wasn't long before the other companies followed.

We were also the first to let our commercial rafters jump into the eddy line at Lollygag, which is just upstream in the pic of you on the ledges.

Renegades!

I have a bunch of pics from when I rowed my 2 kids and a friend through the Gorge for my daughter's 11th b-day. All smiles all day. There should be concerted effort to get every kid in WV on a trip through the Gorge at least once.

Great pics.

Eric said...

Jay, you're definitely right about the kids and taking them down the gorge. They had an awesome time and so did we.

I grew up in Alta, WV and I could throw a rock from my front yard, across the road and the RR and hit the Gauley River but never had been rafting 'til yesterday. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Jay said...

Sept.'s right around the corner and that's the perfect Gauley boat he's got.

In the mean time, see if you can get him to take you on a midnight trip next full moon. Might wanna get a couple of buddies for that one and leave the kids at home.

Eric said...

I don't know if we're ready for the Gauley quite yet, but we did talk about doing an evening/night trip. That sounds really cool.

Jay said...

Ah, you'd do just fine. A good guide and a crew that follows instructions and are CONSISTENT (be consistently strong or consistently weak, but be consistent) is the biggest part of it.

Anyhow, thanks for the pics. It's always good to see someone enjoy something that was a huge part of my life for a long time.

Powered By Blogger