Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cathedral Falls



I went to Cathedral Falls in Gauley Bridge this morning. I've been trying for years to get a shot of the falls frozen like I remember when I was a kid. I've got a picture of me that my Grandmother took with the Brownie I talk about in my profile. It's not very good because it's a double exposure. If you didn't wind the film as soon as you took the picture you would forget and you'd take another shot and wind up with two on one. I might dig it out anyway and post it just so you can get an idea of how cold it used to get when I was a kid, sonny. The picture shows me standing at the bottom of the falls on a gianormous pile if ice. It was frozen way more than it was this morning. Here are a couple of the shots I got this morning. I don't think they're that great either. The lighting never seems to be right, no matter what time of day you go there. I got one a few years ago, that I like a lot, late in the evening on a very overcast, wet day. That seems to be the best time to shoot it, but it wasn't frozen when I got that shot. I'll keep tryin'. We might get another real cold spell before spring. The kinda square one was taken with my Fuji f100 and the other was taken with my Canon 30 D with a Tokina 12-24 lens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reason it never gets as cold now is obviously due to global warming. I bet you left a huge carbon footprint just driving to this location trying to get a "good shot." Way to go, champ!

Eric said...

Hey Al, to make up for the footprint I left yesterday I,m gonna drink water from hoof prints instead of plastic bottles. I'm gonna rent Kenny's goat instead of using my gas guzzling 20 year old Lawn Boy and I'm gonna pee outside for a month and only take showers every third day. Oh, I already do the shower thing. That'll save the planet;-)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Eric! Al is a moron. If he would only look outside, and see the piles of snow that have been present all winter. Great job on the blog. Keep it up!

Eric said...

Thanks Tippper,
I thought ole Al kinda went off the deep end after he was thrashed by W in 2000;-)

Powered By Blogger