Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, DC



The girls and I split up on Sunday, so I went to the Holocaust Museum that afternoon. The last couple of times we've been up there I've thought about going but never got to. It is definitely something you have to go see. I only got to see the Permanent Exhibit "The Holocaust" because I got there late in the afternoon. Before you get on the elevator that takes you to the exhibit you pick up an ID card. That card tells the story of a real person who lived during the Holocaust. My card was for Jakob Frenkiel. We've been to DC several times and we've seen a lot of museums, but the thing I noticed about this one was how quiet it was. All you could hear were the sounds of peoples footsteps. The part of the exhibit that sticks with me most is when I walked into a large room that was filled with thousands and thousands of shoes confiscated from prisoners and the old, musty smell that came from them. The next time we go to DC I'm going to make sure to go through the rest of the museum. I've been reading some of the Holocaust Encyclopedia available on their web site and have learned a lot. There was no photography allowed in the exhibit, but I got this shot outside. I can't help but wonder if they are survivors.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger