Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jacksonville Beaches




Yesterday we went to Jacksonville, FL to Hanna Park Beach. Kim's cousin was driving so I was just sittin' lookin' out the window when we parked. All of a sudden something black jumped out of the water. It was huge. I thought it was a whale. Molly, Allie and I were the only ones that saw it the first time. Then it jumped again and everybody saw it. We then noticed nobody was in the water, they were just standing along the beach. We asked the life guard what it was and he said it was a Giant Manta. He didn't have people out of the water because of the Manta (they're harmless) but because he had seen a large shark out there too. I did some research and found that the Giant or Atlantic Manta can grow to a wingspan of around 20 feet and can weigh as much as 3000 pounds and that one of the things they like to do is jump out of the water. Sadly I don't have any pictures of it, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it. We did get some pretty big waves that made for some great boogie boardin'.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger